Well Head, (sculpture)
- Save Outdoor Sculpture, New York survey, 1994.
- A circular Italian wellhead of white marble with a square rim that has a pinkish hue in places. The rim is decorated with an egg and dart design. Underneath each corner of the rim an acanthus leaf curls over. One long acanthus leaf in low relief extends to the bottom of the wellhead below each projecting corner leaf. Each of the curved sides of the wellhead is decorated in low relief with a stalk, flowers, and leaves rising out of a vase. On two of the sides are birds with wings outstretched as if in flight. The wellhead serves as a planter. It rests on a low circular base.
- Data Source
- Art Inventories Catalog, Smithsonian American Art Museums
- Unknown (Italian)
- 17th century
- Sculpture: white marble; Foundation: concrete
- Sculptures-Outdoor Sculpture
- Sculptures-Decorative arts