Soldiers' Monument, (sculpture)
- Save Outdoor Sculpture, Massachusetts survey, 1997.
- SOS Assessment Award, 2001.
- At the top a tall zinc shaft stands a zinc figure of a Union Civil War soldier holding his rifle vertically in front of him. The soldier wears an infantry hat and overcoat with cape. The elaborate zinc shaft is adorned with reliefs depicting flags, ammunition, drums, and garlands. On the east side of the shaft is a relief of a cavalry officer on horseback. On the west side of the shaft is a relief of the Grand Army badge and an infantry soldier. On the north side of the shaft is a relief medallion of Washington in profile. The shaft rests on a granite base adorned with bronze inscription plaques.
- Data Source
- Art Inventories Catalog, Smithsonian American Art Museums
- Monumental Bronze Company
- 1884. Dedicated Sept. 15, 1885
- Sculpture: zinc; Base: granite
- Sculptures-Outdoor Sculpture