Sufi ceremony sound recording : Rifa' ceremony of the eleventh day of Rabi-L-Achien honouring Abdul Hadir Beker / by Kajar the Magician
- Cover design by Ronald Clyne.
- Introductory notes by Joseph Schacht and notes by Kajar in booklet (4 p. : ill.) inserted in original cover.
- Performed by members of the Islaamia Refia Jamaa (the "Islamic Rifa'iyya Association"), led by Khalifa Abdullah.
- Recorded in South Africa.
- Related materials may be found in the Moses and Frances Asch Collection, also held by this repository. Related materials may include correspondence between the studio, producers, and/or performers; original cover art designs; original production materials; business records; and audiotapes from studio production.
- Track information
- 101. The Ceremony, Part 1
- 102. The Ceremony to the End
- Publisher number
- FR 8942 Folkways Records
- The album features a live recording of a Sufi trance ritual performed "in the home of Khalifa Abdullah of the Islaamia Refia Jamaa sect of Malayan Mohammedans in the Union of South Africa." The ritual commemorates the 11th day of Rabi-l-Achien in honor of "Abdul Kadir Beker, a follower of the Prophet (approximately middle of December, varying with moon) to symbolize the power of faith exemplified by bodily resistance to steel." (Quotes sic from notes.)
- Repository Loc.
- Smithsonian Institution, Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage, Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections, 600 Maryland Ave., S.W., Suite 2001, Washington, D.C. 20024. Call 202-633-7322 for appointment. Fax: 202-633-7019. Email: email@example.com
- Data Source
- Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections
- Islaamia Refia Jamaa Sect
- Schacht, Joseph 1902-1969
- cover designer
- Clyne, Ronald 1925-2006
- Kajar the Magician
- ʻAbd al-Qādir al-Jīlānī d. 1166
- Physical description
- 1 phonograph record : analog, 33 1/3 rpm ; 12 in
- Phonograph records