Imperial Yellow Dish with Pedestal
- Exhibition Label
- Cliff Lee is renowned for his complex glazes. It took the artist seventeen years to perfect the Imperial Yellow (also known as Chicken Fat Yellow) glaze on this serving dish. The color recreates a famous porcelain finish from the fifteenth-century Ming dynasty of China.
- Trained as a neurosurgeon, Lee brings his extensive knowledge of the sciences to concocting ambitious glaze recipes. In the broader history of American studio craft, once separate disciplines like science and art have been brought together by shared passions for curiosity and mastery of skill.
- This Present Moment: Crafting a Better World, 2022
- Data Source
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Cliff Lee, born Vienna, Austria 1951
- Credit Line
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, Gift of Carol and Bill Wright in memory of Dr. Edward L. Katz
- porcelain and glaze
- 4 x 11 1/4 in. (10.2 x 28.6 cm) diam., irregular
- Decorative Arts-Ceramic