Lighthouse Beach, Annisquam
- Luce Center Label
- This painting shows a beach in Annisquam, a small village on the northern coast of Massachusetts. Hugh Bolton Jones made many trips to New England during the 1880s and 1890s, making sketches and notes for his paintings. The winding pathway and bright sky suggest that the sea is just beyond the rocky dunes, encouraging us to follow the lone figure along the sandy trail. Jones used warm colors and small, feathery brushstrokes to create a welcoming image of a sunny day on the coast.
- Data Source
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- H. Bolton Jones, born Baltimore, MD 1848-died New York City 1927
- ca. 1887
- Credit Line
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, Museum purchase
- oil on canvas
- 24 1/4 x 40 3/8 in. (61.6 x 102.6 cm.)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.