Cape Cod, Beach
- Luce Center Label
- Herman Hartwich painted Sand Dune and Beach on Cape Cod, a great curling hook of land jutting out from the eastern coast of Massachusetts. In the nineteenth century the cape was a popular destination for tourists and artists, and the expressive brushstrokes and ragged margins suggest Hartwich painted these on the spot as studies for finished works.
- Data Source
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Herman Hartwich, born New York City 1853-died Munich, Germany 1926
- Credit Line
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, Gift of Emily Dorothy Ammann
- oil on canvas
- 13 3/4 x 21 3/4 in. (34.9 x 55.4 cm)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.