Doorway (San Marco, Venice)
- Luce Center Label
- José Villegas y Cordero spent many years in Venice, painting the buildings and people of the city. Doorway shows part of the Piazza San Marco, the heart of the city’s life and culture where Venetians have traditionally gathered to visit with friends and rendezvous with sweethearts. Villegas used rich colors and an elaborate frame to capture the piazza’s opulent decoration.
- Data Source
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Jose Villegas Y Cordero, Spanish, born Seville, Spain 1848-died Madrid, Spain 1922
- Credit Line
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, Transfer from the Library of Congress
- oil on wood panel
- 14 3/8 x 6 1/2 in. (36.4 x 16.4 cm)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.