- Luce Center Label
- This painting was a wedding present for Abbott Thayer’s friend the architect Stanford White. It is a view near the artist’s home in Dublin, New Hampshire, and Thayer himself thought the finished painting “a very successful picture of the sunshine striking down on the bottom of a summer lake.” Thayer’s many outdoor scenes of Dublin reflect his passion for nature, an interest that also surfaces in his portraits and allegorical scenes, which are often set in New Hampshire’s green fields.
- Data Source
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Abbott Handerson Thayer, born Boston, MA 1849-died Dublin, NH 1921
- Credit Line
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, Gift of William T. Evans
- oil on canvas
- 20 1/8 x 16 1/8 in. (51.1 x 40.8 cm.)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.