- Exhibition Label
- Born Akron, Ohio
- LeBron James was the number-one pick of the 2003 NBA draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers. During his years with the Cavaliers, he galvanized a previously mediocre franchise, leading the team deep into the playoffs. A seven-time All-Star, James was also the league’s MVP in the 2008–9, 2009–10, and 2011–12 seasons. He won a bronze medal at the 2004 Olympics and a gold medal in 2008. As a free agent in 2012, several cities and teams began wooing James. After a few frantic weeks, he signed with the Miami Heat.
- Photographer Michael O’Brien captured several images of James during his senior year of high school in his hometown of Akron for a 2002 issue of ESPN: The Magazine. This photograph landed on the cover of the magazine, and was taken just prior to a practice in James’s high school gym.
- Data Source
- National Portrait Gallery
- Michael O'Brien, born 27 Jun 1950
- LeBron Raymone James, born 30 Dec 1984
- 2002 (printed 2010)
- Credit Line
- National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; gift of Bill and Sally Wittliff
- Gelatin silver print
- Image: 34.8 x 34.7 cm (13 11/16 x 13 11/16")
- Sheet: 50.5 x 40.5 cm (19 7/8 x 15 15/16")