- George W. Marble, of Chicago, Illinois, received patent number 171,623 on December 28, 1875 for an "improvement in velocipedes." Half of his right was assigned to Adolph Shoeninger, also of Chicago. This small tricycle, constructed principally of wood, bears the above patent date, and is similar to the drawing accompanying the patent application. It was donated to the Smithsonian in 1930.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- date made
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mrs. Harold Allen
- front wheel: 24 in; x 60.96 cm
- rear wheels: 20 in; x 50.8 cm
- Object Name
- Tricycle, Child's
- Other Terms
- Tricycle, Child's; Road
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.