Edmund Vernon Slide Rule and Tie Clasp
- This small, one-sided sterling silver slide rule is in the form of a tie clip. It has A and D scales on the base and a C scale on the slide. A clear plastic indicator has a red line and is in a metal frame. The back of the clasp is marked: VERNON. It is also marked: STERLING.
- The donor recalled that he obtained this tie clasp from Edmund Scientific Company. The 1965 catalog of the company lists a tie clasp with a "silver oxide" finish that cost $2.00. The 1971 catalog lists a tie clasp with a gold finish that cost $3.00. However, these tie clips had screws in each corner, while this example has no screws.
- References: Edmund Scientific Company, Catalog 661 (Barrington, N.J., 1965), 44; Edmund Scientific Company, Catalog 721 (Barrington, N.J., 1971), 59; Dieter von Jezierski, "Slide Rule Tie Bars," Journal of the Oughtred Society 16, no. 1 (2007): 33–35.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- Edmund Scientific Company
- date made
- ca 1965
- date received
- Credit Line
- Gift of George A. Norton
- Physical Description
- sterling silver (overall material)
- plastic (cursor material)
- overall: 1.4 cm x 5.2 cm x 1.2 cm; 9/16 in x 2 1/16 in x 15/32 in
- Object Name
- calculating rule / tie clasp
- slide rule / tie clasp