Martin Harp Guitar
- Description (Brief)
- This harp guitar was made by C.F. Martin and Company of Nazareth, Pennsylvania in 1905. Harp guitars were designed to provide a fuller bass response and more harmonic possibilities than standard guitars. According to Martin company records, this harp guitar was shipped in 1906 to Lewis & Son, violin dealers, in Chicago. The donor’s father, Fred Norman Vanderwalker is believed to have been the first owner of this harp guitar. This 000-28 model guitar, serial #10163, is one of five known harp guitars made by C.F. Martin and Company, none of which were made to the same specifications. It is notable for its double mahogany neck arrangement, large body style, highly figured rosewood ribs and back, and a harp peghead in the Viennese style of Johann Stauffer. C.F. Martin apprenticed in Johann Stauffer's shop before emigrating to America in 1833.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- C. F. Martin & Co.
- date made
- Credit Line
- Gift of Janet V. Myers in memory of Fred N. Vanderwalker
- overall: 43 1/4 in x 15 in x 4 3/4 in; 109.855 cm x 38.1 cm x 12.065 cm
- Object Name