This violin was made by Albert Moglie in Washington, DC in 1923. It is patterned after instruments made by Venetian luthier, Sanctus Serephin (1699-1776).
Albert Moglie (b. Dec. 16, 1890, Rome; d. June 9, 1988, Washington DC) operated a violin shop in Washington DC for 65 years from 1922 until 1987. At the age of twelve he was apprenticed to Antonio Sgarbi; he then worked under Luigi Enbergher, Giuseppe Rossi and Rodolfo Fredi, all of Rome. He later was a student of Hippolyte Sylvestre in Paris and Leandro Bisiach in Milan.
Albert Moglie came to America at the age of 24 to work for the Rudolph Wurlitzer Company, first in Cincinnati and then New York City in 1916. By 1917 he had established his own shop in New York at 1431 Broadway. He moved to Washington DC in 1922.
Moglie enjoyed a fine reputation in Washington as a violin restorer, and is especially remembered as the caretaker of the Gertrude Clark Whittall Stradivari quartet of instruments at the Library of Congress, an association that began in the 1930s and lasted more than 50 years.
The Smithsonian, National Museum of American History, Archives Center houses additional materials on the life and career of Albert F. Moglie:
Albert F. Moglie Violinist and Violin-Making Collection
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- Moglie, Albert
- date made
- Credit Line
- Gift of Lorette M. (Mrs. Albert) Moglie
- overall: 23 3/4 in x 8 1/4 in x 4 1/8 in; 60.325 cm x 20.955 cm x 10.4775 cm
- Object Name