1855 - 1865 Sara Ann Mellon's Appliqued Quilt
- According to family information, Sara Ann Mellon crafted this quilt before her marriage to Robert Dickey in 1864. Nine 16-inch blocks are appliqued with stylized star flowers, oak leaves, and sprigs of berries. The berry stems are accentuated with chain stitch embroidery. It was said that the meandering vine in the border was stitched with a hand-turned sewing machine, all the other stitching is by hand.
- Sara Ann Mellon was born February 18, 1841 in Cameron, Marshall County, Virginia (now West Virginia). She married Robert Dickey (1836-1909), a veteran of the 6th West Virginia Infantry. He enlisted in 1861. Severely wounded in the summer of 1864, he was discharged in the fall. He and Sara married December 22, 1864, in Greene County, Pennsylvania. They had three children: George W., Clara, and John H. Sara died in 1927.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- Mellon, Sara Ann
- date made
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mrs. Robert Dickey Burley
- Physical Description
- fabric, cotton (overall material)
- thread, cotton (overall material)
- filling, cotton (overall material)
- overall: 77 in x 72 in; 196 cm x 183 cm
- Object Name