1840 - 1860 Susan Ladson McPherson's Appliqued Quilt
- “It [quilt] was made 125 years ago in Charleston, S.C., by my great-grandmother, Susan Ladson McPherson. It is in perfect condition as it has evidently never been used, only hoarded as an heirloom. I have no daughter to leave it to and it is too large and elaborate for everyday use.” So wrote the donor in 1943.
- The original quilt had the center floral wreath encircled by rose vines with a few appliqued flowers around the edge. At a later point appliques were removed (evidenced by many needle-holes) and others added to the center (scrolled frames and vases of flowers) as well as roller-printed cotton borders.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- McPherson, Susan Ladson
- date made
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mrs. E.G. McFadden
- Physical Description
- fabric, cotton (overall material)
- thread, cotton (overall material)
- filling, cotton (overall material)
- overall: 99 in x 99 in; 251.46 cm x 251.46 cm
- Object Name