1840 - 1850 Margaret Willis's "Irish Chain" Pieced Quilt
- Twenty-four roller-printed cottons were used to construct this example of an “Irish Chain” pattern. The plain white and pieced blocks are framed by a roller-printed glazed floral chintz. The pieced blocks are quilted with diagonal lines, the white blocks with clamshells, and the border with chevrons.
- According to family information, Margaret Willis crafted the “Irish Chain” quilt near Leonardtown, Maryland. Margaret Lowry was born in Virginia in 1794. She married John S. Willis (1790-1878). Margaret died in 1844 and is buried in Mercer County, Missouri.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- Willis, Margaret Lowry
- date made
- Credit Line
- Gift of Miss Margaret Gray
- Physical Description
- fabric, cotton (overall material)
- thread, cotton (overall material)
- filling, cotton (overall material)
- overall: 98 in x 93 in; 249 cm x 236 cm
- Object Name