- Mary L. Walcott constructed this quilt based on the “Wild Goose Chase” pattern using only plain red and polka-dotted red and white cottons. It is quilted at 7-8 stitches/inch using grid and chevron patterns. She made this quilt about the time her son, Charles D. Walcott, was born. In 1907 he became the fourth Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- Walcott, Mary L.
- date made
- Credit Line
- Gift of Charles D. Walcott
- Physical Description
- fabric, cotton (overall material)
- thread, cotton (overall material)
- filling, cotton (overall material)
- overall: 78 in x 75 in; 198 cm x 191 cm
- Object Name
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.