1835 - 1850 Mary Winfield's "Nine-patch" Pieced Quilt
- Mary Winfield crafted this small quilt for her granddaughter, Julia A. Poole, of Dinwiddie Co., Virginia. Possibly it was intended as a doll quilt. The quilt is composed of 3-inch blocks, some pieced in the “Nine-patch” pattern, some plain. Each plain block is quilted with a single flower or bird.
- Mary W. Tucker was born about 1764 in Virginia. She married William Winfield III (1762-1837) on January 6th in either 1783 or 1787. She made another small quilt, also in the Collection, for the same granddaughter.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- Winfield, Mary
- date made
- Credit Line
- Mrs. Fannie Hamilton
- Physical Description
- fabric, cotton (overall material)
- thread, cotton (overall material)
- filling, cotton (overall material)
- overall: 13 in x 13 in; 33 cm x 33 cm
- Object Name