1720 - 1734 Jane Alcock's Silk Applique Counterpane
- According to family information, Jane Alcock made this counterpane in a convent school in England a few years before running away to Barbados and marrying William Atlee (1696-1744) on June 1, 1734. A few weeks later the couple settled in Philadelphia. Jane was born in 1695 in England and died in 1777 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
- The scrollwork-and-flower design is appliquéd, held in place by a linen-thread cord, on a dark blue satin ground. The elegant counterpane remained in the family until its donation in 1985.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- Alcock, Jane
- date made
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Robert T. Merriam
- Physical Description
- fabric, silk, satin weave (overall material)
- thread, silk (overall material)
- overall: 93 in x 65 in; 236 cm x 165 cm
- Object Name