- Description (Brief)
- This .52 caliber breechloading percussion carbine was invented by Jere H. Tarpley, of Greensboro, North Carolina and was made by the J. and F. Garrett Company also in Greensboro. It was notorious for leaking scalding hot gas from its breech and only a few hundred were made between 1863 and 1864.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- J. F. Garrett & Company
- date made
- Credit Line
- U.S. Military Service Institute
- overall: 39 1/2 in; 100.33 cm
- Object Name
- carbine, percussion
- Other Terms
- carbine; Firearms; Percussion Fire; .52 In; Rifled; 13; Sa
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.