- Description (Brief)
- This .50 caliber tilt-up barrel breech loading carbine was invented by Mahlon J. Gallager of Savannah, GA. Over 18,000 were used by Union cavalry troops during the Civil War.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- Gallager, Mahlon J.
- date made
- ca 1862
- Credit Line
- U.S. Military Service Institute
- overall, carbine: 38 7/8 in x 2 3/8 in; 98.7425 cm x 6.0325 cm
- Object Name
- carbine, percussion
- Other Terms
- carbine; Firearms; Percussion Fire; .52 In; Rifled; 02; 03
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.