Civil War Token, United States, 1861
- Description (Brief)
- One (1) Civil War token
- United States, 1861
- Obverse Image: Man with a large hat, bandanna around his neck, and a shirt decorated with stars.
- Obverse Text: I AM READY / 1861
- Reverse Image: Approximately forty (40) stars.
- Reverse Words: THE UNION MUST & SHALL BE PRESERVED
- Edge: Smooth
- There are numerous examples of Civil War Tokens that display sentiments in favor of the Union. Many of the patriotic series Civil War Tokens were issued in New York. The lack of tokens in the South has been attributed to the fact that the majority of private minters were located in the North. This token depicts a pro-Union stance: “I AM READY” and “THE UNION MUST & SHALL BE PRESERVED.” Once these tokens were circulated, they would remind their user of the Union’s justifications for war and buoy up nationalist spirits.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- date made
- Physical Description
- copper (overall material)
- overall: 3.1 cm; 1 7/32 in
- Object Name