- This tan, 36-page booklet is titled: Staedtler-Mars Instructions for Use, Modles [sic] No. 944 24 No. 945 24 Bamboo Slide Rule. The back cover is marked: Printed in Japan.
- The instructions define the scales; explain how to multiply and divide; solve problems of proportion; discuss squares and square roots; calculate cubes, cube roots, 3/2 power, and 2/3 power; explain logarithms; provide processes for trigonometric functions; discuss the P or Pythagorean scale; explain the LL scales; and define this rule's five gauge marks. The German firm of Staedtler distributed the rule with which the booklet was received (2009.0019.02). Ricoh, the Japanese company that made the rule, presumably prepared the instructions.
- Reference: Paul Ross, "Relay/Ricoh Slide Rules," Journal of the Oughtred Society 9, no. 2 (2000): 64–65.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- Ricoh Measuring Instruments
- date made
- Credit Line
- Gift of Harley Flanders
- Physical Description
- paper (overall material)
- overall: 18.3 cm x 12.8 cm x .3 cm; 7 7/32 in x 5 1/32 in x 1/8 in
- Object Name
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.