Designating Flag, 1st Division, 9th Army Corps
- Physical Description:
- Wool bunting rectangular flag. White field with a red shield in the center of the flag. On the shield, a white anchor is crossed diagonally with a blue cannon (the cannon surmounts the anchor). White hoist with a metal grommet at either end. Inscription on hoist reads "From / Wm. F. Schieble / Philada Pa / Contract. March 23, 1865 9th Corps. / 1st DIV. / BRIG. Head / Quarters".
- General Description:
- Ninth Army Corps (22 July 1862 - 1 August 1865)
- The Ninth Army Corps used several different flags during its existence between July 22, 1862 and August 1, 1865. The corps badge, authorized on April 19, 1864, called for the design of a shield on which a fouled anchor lies beneath a cannon. The regulation flag bearing the badge design came into use in the late summer of 1864.
- The Corps was commanded by Major General Ambrose Burnside from its beginning. It is speculated that the shield represents the seal of the state of Rhode Island, General Burnsides' birthplace, and the fouled anchor refers to the Corp's participation in the Peninsular Campaign.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- William F. Scheible
- date made
- contract date
- Physical Description
- wool (overall material)
- metal (grommets material)
- Object Name
- flag, designating