Designating Flag, Chief Quartermaster, 5th Army Corps
- Physical Description:
- Wool bunting tapered swallowtail flag. Blue field with two diagonal white stripes, or bends, that extend from either end of the hoist to the end of each tail. The stripes cross at the fork of the swallowtail. Surmounting the stripes is a red number "5". White cotton canvas hoist. Machine stitching. The inscription on the hoist reads "5 ARMY CORPS Chf. Qtr. Mr. HORSTMANN./PHILADELPHIA."
- General Description:
- Fifth Army Corps (18 May 1862 - 28 June 1865)
- The ensign representing the Fifth Corps, a Maltese Cross, was prescribed by General Joseph Hooker on March 21, 1863. The appearance of the cross on Fifth Corps flags varied.
- The "Gallant Fifth" was created in March of 1862 as an element of the Army of the Potomac under General George B. McClellan. Soon afterwards the Department of the Shenandoah was created and the Fifth Corps transferred to it. By May 1862, the Fifth Corps of the Potomac was recreated; it remained in existence until June 1865.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- William H. Horstmann & Sons
- date made
- ca 1865
- Physical Description
- wool (overall material)
- cotton (part: heading material)
- overall: 64 1/2 in x 51 3/4 in; 163.83 cm x 131.445 cm
- Object Name
- flag, designating