1796 - 1798 Bethiah Green's Embroidered Counterpane
- Under the center basket of this embroidered counterpane is the inscription “Bethiah D. Green” and on the basket at the top is “Begun October 2, 1796.” The date “1798” appears several times in the border. In addition to the many birds and floral motifs, other designs include the head of George Washington; his riderless horse; a milestone inscribed “12 miles to Boston;” and a pig. According to family tradition, this quilt was inspired by an event that Bethiah witnessed in 1789 when George Washington, passing through Weston, Massachusetts, was nearly thrown from his horse when a pig ran across the road.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- Green, Bethiah D.
- date made
- Credit Line
- Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Arthur M. Greenwood
- Physical Description
- fabric, linen, cotton (overall material)
- thread, linen, silk (overall material)
- overall: 103 in x 92 in; 261 cm x 234 cm
- Object Name