1932 - 1952 Ruth Patrick's "Animal Quilt"
- Ruth Jones Black Patrick was born January 31, 1905, She was an artist, teacher and illustrator, and began making this quilt, her first, in 1932 for her infant son. He was 20 years old when she finished it! In a 1971 newspaper interview, she is quoted thus, “. . . Edward was a little boy, I needed some sort of cover for his bed and thought I’d do something original. It was just going to be a small quilt . . . but it grew as he did—into twin bed size.” She made her own designs for her quilts, inspired by life, pictures in books, and quilt patterns of the time. Her unique quilts won ribbons at Alabama State Fairs.She married December 25, 1930, Herbert Edward Black(1906-1954), and she died November 25, 1999.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- Patrick, Ruth Jones Black
- date made
- Credit Line
- Gift of Mr. Edward D. Black
- Physical Description
- fabric, cotton (overall material)
- thread, cotton (overall material)
- filling, cotton (overall material)
- overall: 82 in x 54 in; 208 cm x 136 cm
- Object Name
- quilt, appliqued, pieced and embroidered