"Dedicated to the Women of the Allied Nations" dress silk, Mallinson's La Victoire series II
- This design, titled "Dedicated to the Women of the Allied Nations," is from the second La Victoire series by H.R. Mallinson & Co., Inc., produced in conjunction with the Peace Conference after the Armistice that ended the fighting in World War in was signed. Machine-printed on Mallinson's trademark "Pussy Willow" silk, one of the firm's most enduring staple qualities, the design depicts stylized female figures in 'national' dress, including a "Liberty" figure to depict American women. Many of the designers and marketing staff in the Mallinson firm, as well as most of the mill-workers, were female. Perhaps this fact encouraged the company to recognize in silk the contributions to victory made by the women who supported the war effort both at home and in the theater of war, as volunteers and in professional capacities.
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- H. R. Mallinson & Co. Inc.
- date made
- Credit Line
- Gift of H.R. Mallinson & Co., Inc.
- Physical Description
- silk (overall material)
- fuschia (overall color)
- blue (overall color)
- gold (overall color)
- green (overall color)
- white (overall color)
- dark blue ground (overall color)
- plain weave, cylinder printed (overall production method/technique)
- "Pussy Willow" (overall style)
- overall: 36 in x 40 in; 91.44 cm x 101.6 cm
- Object Name
- fabric length