- The Gendron Wheel Company of Toledo, Ohio produced this souvenir metal pin around 1896. Originally founded as the Gendron Iron Wheel Company in 1872, Gendron began manufacturing bicycles during the early 1890s, changing its name to the Gendron Wheel Company in 1896. In addition, it manufactured a variety of spoked wheels for carriages, wagons, and wheelchairs. The white celluloid button on top of a stickpin is decorated with a Gendron’s star logo in black, with the white text “Gendron Bicycle” inside.
- Bicycling boomed in popularity in the United States during the 1890s when the invention of the “safety” bicycle replaced the dangerous high-wheeler. The National Cycle Board of Trade held the largest annual exhibitions in New York and Chicago between 1893 and 1897. At these cycle shows manufacturers attempted to capitalize on the bicycle boom with exhibitions of their products to both the public and bicycle agents from other cities. At shows like these, manufacturers advertised their wares with pins and buttons made of tin and celluloid—cheap materials easily mass manufactured into trinkets and souvenirs. The Chicago Tribune’s account of the 1896 Chicago show speaks to the ubiquity of these kind of souvenirs. “Every visitor seems to have a desire to cherish its memory through some kind of a souvenir . . . anyone who does not look like a walking sign board is a rarity and every exhibiter goes after him and every available buttonhole has some kind of button in it, and stick pins are thrust at him from all sides.”
- Currently not on view
- Data Source
- National Museum of American History
- Gendron Bicycle
- Physical Description
- metal (overall material)
- celluloid (overall material)
- Object Name
- pin, lapel
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.