- Label Text
- Among the Yoruba, a large bird in the center of a gathering of birds symbolizes the ability to control supernatural forces and the power of good subduing evil. This staff represents the power of the herbalist--a priest of the gods of healing, Osanyin and Erinle.
- Iron bird surrounded by a circle of birds on a single support. Each bird is wrapped around a circle that projects rom the central support.
- Warren M. Robbins, Washington, D.C., -- to 1978
- Data Source
- National Museum of African Art
- Yoruba artist
- Late 19th - mid 20th century
- Credit Line
- Gift of Warren M. Robbins
- H x W x D: 65.4 x 20 x 20 cm (25 3/4 x 7 7/8 x 7 7/8 in.)