- Label Text
- Fish traps, which vary in size, are specialized baskets designed with an interior hollow that allows fish to swim in, but not out. Relatively small baskets such as this one would be used in streams and creeks.
- Flat cane strips, cylindrical shaped fish trap with slightly narrowing center, tapering to point, funnel opening into interior cone trap.
- US Agency for International Development, collected Liberia, before 1966 to 1969
- Exhibition History
- Currents: Water in African Art, National Museum of African Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., June 2016-ongoing
- Data Source
- National Museum of African Art
- Kpelle artist
- Mid-20th century
- Credit Line
- Gift of The Agency for International Development
- H x W x D: 19.5 × 86.5 × 20.5 cm (7 11/16 × 34 1/16 × 8 1/16 in.)