- Label Text
- Among the Yoruba, a large bird in the center of a gathering of birds symbolizes the ability to control supernatural forces and the power of good subduing evil. This staff represents the power of the herbalist--a priest of the gods of healing, Osanyin and Erinle.
- Iron staff with a central bird surrounded by a circle of birds and a parasol.
- Paul and Ruth Tishman, New York, -- to 1984
- Exhibition History
- Healing Arts, National Museum of African Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., September 2016 - June 26, 2019
- Data Source
- National Museum of African Art
- Yoruba artist
- Late 19th to mid-20th century
- Credit Line
- Gift of Walt Disney World Co., a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company
- H x W x D: 73 x 39.5 x 38cm (28 3/4 x 15 9/16 x 14 15/16 in.)