- Label Text
- Ethiopian Orthodox priests bestow blessings on the faithful with hand crosses. The square at the base of this one symbolizes both the Ark of the Covenant (believed to have come to Ethiopia from Jerusalem) and the tomb of Adam (thought to have been at the foot of Christ's cross).
- Wood cross with a solid diamond form top, a square on the shaft and light encrustation. The carving is different on each side. One side has a very low relief of a stylized man on the upper part.
- Joseph and Patricia Brumit, Sun City West,-- to 2004
- Data Source
- National Museum of African Art
- Ethiopian Orthodox
- 20th century
- Credit Line
- Gift of Joseph and Patricia Brumit
- H x W x D: 40.2 x 11.2 x 2.2 cm (15 13/16 x 4 7/16 x 7/8 in.)