The Picayune Creole Cook Book
- A hardback copy of the sixth edition of the Picayune Creole Cook Book which has in total 390 off-white pages separated into different categories of Creole cuisine in several distinct chapters. The front cover is beige, with some slight darker discoloration around the edges, and features a dark blue ink illustration in its center. The drawing depicts a woman in a polka-dot blouse with rolled up sleeves, a checkered skirt, an apron around her waist, and a head wrap covering her hair, stirring the contents of a large bowl. A pitcher sits next to the bowl on the table; above the image is the book's title centered in a dark blue label which reads [PICAYUNE / CREOLE/ COOK / BOOK]. The interior of the front cover has a sticker featuring a black-and-white landscape/exterior shot from the visual perspective of a covered patio; [EX LIBRIS/ANITA BALDWIN] is written into the scene on the bottom and top rails of the patio. There are three handwritten notes on the interior of the front cover, [Not to be taken] underlined and repeated on the top right of the first blank title page. [Anita M. Baldwin / (illegible)] is centered on the first blank title page. The first interior page is 3/4 full of handwritten penciled text. There are pencil marks throughout the text which scratch out the word "carrots" from recipes which include them as an ingredient.
- Objects depicting racist and/or stereotypical imagery or language may be offensive and disturbing, but the NMAAHC aims to include them in the Collection to present and preserve the historical context in which they were created and used. Objects of this type provide an important historical record from which to study and evaluate racism.
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Published by
- The Times-Picayune, American, founded 1837
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture
- ink on paper, cardboard, book cloth
- H x W x D (closed): 9 1/4 × 6 1/4 × 1 in. (23.5 × 15.9 × 2.5 cm)
- H x W x D (open): 9 1/4 × 13 1/8 × 1 in. (23.5 × 33.3 × 2.5 cm)