Purple dress and white belt worn by Dionne Warwick
- A light purple dress (a) with ivory embroidery and coordinating ivory belt (b) with beaded decoration worn by Dionne Warwick.
- (a): Lilac purple dress with long sleeves and a full skirt. The dress is made of a lilac organza layered over ivory organza and decorated with an ivory machine-embroidered abstract floral design. Embroidered leaves, attached all over the dress on the bodice, sleeves and skirt, hang loose as three-dimensional elements. The bodice of the dress is fitted with an ivory notched spread collar. The bodice is fully lined with ivory synthetic fabric. The dress closes at the center front with a metal zipper that begins below the waist and ends at the center bust. There is a single metal hook-and-eye fastener above the zipper. The full-length sleeves are fitted to the elbow, with the forearms having large pleats, ending in fitted ivory cuffs that fasten with two (2) ivory fabric-covered buttons on each cuff. The skirt of the dress is very full with a floor-length hemline, and has two under-layers of petticoats. The innermost petticoat is an ivory synthetic fiber lined in an ivory synthetic satin, with two tiers of ivory organza ruffles sewn along at the exterior bottom. The outer petticoat is made of two layers of ivory organza. The initials of the designer, "MT", are handwritten in black ink at the interior proper right back of the bodice.
- (b): Wide ivory belt with rhinestones and beaded tassel. The belt is faced with an ivory organza and edged in ivory satin. A large flower made of white and clear rhinestones is sewn at the center front, which is slightly wider than the rest of the belt. Six (6) long strands of varying lengths with white, clear, and silver beads hang from the center of the flower. Each beaded strand ends in a beaded tassel with nine (9) strands. The belt is lined with ivory leather. It fastens at the center back with two (2) metal hook-and-eye closures.
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Designed by
- Michael Travis, American, 1928 - 2014
- Worn by
- Dionne Warwick, American, born 1940
- ca. 1965
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift of Dwandalyn R. Reece in memory of Pauline Watkins Reece
- Dress: synthetic fiber with metal zipper;
- Belt: synthetic fiber and leather with plastic, glass, and metal rhinestones and beads, and metal hook-and-eyes
- H x W x D ((a) flat): 57 1/2 × 18 × 5 in. (146.1 × 45.7 × 12.7 cm)
- H x W x D ((b) flat): 26 × 28 × 1/4 in. (66 × 71.1 × 0.6 cm)
- belts (costume accessories)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.