- This oil on canvas depicts the artist, Frederick C. Flemister. Shown from the chest up, the man in the image wears a loose white shirt with a black shirt peeking out of the neckline. On his head is a large green peaked cap. The man stands sideways with his right shoulder towards the viewer. Wearing a mustache, he turns his head and gazes toward the viewer. He stands in an arched window with a dark green marbled casement. Outside the window is a landscape, depicting a tree by a river, with rolling hillsides and mountains in the distance.
- On the reverse side of the canvas is a partial study of a nude, showing a woman's torso and leg in red, possibly crayon. The nude is located in the center of the canvas. Below in the lower right quadrant is a sketch for a man's head, in black or dark blue. In the lower left quadrant are the artist's signature and the painting's title, written vertically. The title and the artist’s signature are also written in large letters above the nude.
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Created by
- Frederick C. Flemister, American, 1917 - 1976
- Owned by
- Barnett-Aden Gallery, American, 1943 - 1969
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift of Robert L. Johnson
- oil on canvas
- H x W: 30 1/4 × 24 1/8 in. (76.8 × 61.3 cm)
- H x W x D (Frame): 35 3/4 × 29 × 1 3/4 in. (90.8 × 73.7 × 4.4 cm)