- A souvenir program from a Sister Rosetta Tharpe concert tour in England. The program has a blue cover with a white image and black text. The image depicts Sister Rosetta Tharpe singing. She is standing with a guitar strapped to her shoulder with her arms outstretched. Her eyes are closed. Black text at the bottom of the cover reads “JAZZSHOWS / present / Sister ROSETTA THARPE / America’s Greatest / GOSPEL SINGING and / GUITAR PLAYING STAR / SOUVENIR / PROGRAMME / ONE SHILLING.” The program has eight pages and gives biographical information on Rosetta Tharpe as well as the rest of the band members performing on the tour. The places listed in the program that the tour performed at are “London, Bournemouth, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Newcastle, Harrogate, Bradford, Leeds.” The back cover features an advertisements for a Sister Rosetta Tharpe album and for the 1958 "Floating Tour of Jazz."
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Created by
- Jazzshows Limited, British, 1956 - 1962
- Subject of
- Sister Rosetta Tharpe, American, 1915 - 1973
- Printed by
- Small Offset Services Ltd., British
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift of Gayle Wald
- ink on paper
- H x W: 9 1/16 × 7 1/16 in. (23 × 18 cm)
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.