Ensemble associated with Marian Anderson's 1939 Lincoln Memorial concert
- The skirt and the decorative trim on the orange jacket were worn by Marian Anderson in 1939 when she sang at the Lincoln Memorial. In 1993, with Anderson’s permission, the original velvet jacket was remade using silk fabric.
- This is a virtual record for the orange tailored silk shantung jacket and black velvet skirt worn by Marian Anderson at her Lincoln Memorial Concert in 1939.
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Created by
- Subject of
- Marian Anderson, American, 1897 - 1993
- 1939; modified 1993
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift of Ginette DePreist in memory of James DePreist
- Jacket: silk, metal, thread, sequin;
- Skirt: nylon velveteen, tulle, metal, cloth
- Jacket on form: 26 × 23 × 19 in. (66 × 58.4 × 48.3 cm)
- Skirt on form: 44 × 36 × 38 in. (111.8 × 91.4 × 96.5 cm)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.