Pair of white and black Run-D.M.C. Superstar 80s sneakers made by Adidas
- A pair of white Run-D.M.C. Adidas shoes (.1ab), a pair of black fat shoelaces (.2ab), a pair of white shoelaces (.3ab), and the original shoebox with lid (.4ab).
- .1ab: A pair of Run-D.M.C. limited edition white shell-top Adidas shoes with black detailing. The toe cap and outer soles are made of white rubber. The vamp, tongue, and heel cap of the uppers are made of white textured leather. There are three (3) black leather stripes on each side vamp with perforations in the white leather between the stripes. There is a single black leather stripe on the center back heel and an additional black leather panel around the top of the heel with the Adidas logo printed in white at the center back of this panel. Printed at the top of the tongue in black are the words "RUN / DMC" between two (2) red lines, with the Adidas logo in black beneath the bottom-most red line. The innersole is faced with white leather and the same text as that on the tongue is printed near the heel of the innersole. The Run-D.M.C. text with red lines is also printed at the top interior tongue, with the letters "JMJ" printed in white inside the top red line and the word "4EVER" printed in white inside the bottom red line. A size and style tag is sewn to the interior tongue below the Run-D.M.C. design. Wide white elastic bands are attached to the sides of the tongue and then around the insole so that they do not show from the exterior, allowing the shoes to be worn without laces in the style popularized by Run-D.M.C.
- .2ab: A pair of black cotton and nylon blend fat shoelaces with clear plastic aglets.
- .3ab: A pair of white cotton and nylon blend shoelaces with clear plastic aglets.
- .4ab: A shoebox (a) and lid (b) with a black background and white detailing. On each long side of the box are three white stripes oriented diagonally near the right facing edge, with the Adidas logo printed in white in the bottom left facing corner. The stripes on the box match up with stripes printed diagonally across the lid. On one short side of the box the phrase: "THE BRAND WITH THE 3 STRIPES" is printed in white in English, German, and French. On the other short side of the box is a sticker with style and sizing information printed on it. There is a small round hole in the bottom left facing corner of this side. An international shoe size chart and an international legend with various symbols and definitions related to shoe materials and parts are printed in white on the bottom of the box. The short sides of the lid have the Adidas logo printed in white at the center. The top of the lid has the three diagonal stripes printed on it as well as the "RUN / DMC" text in white with a red line above and below printed in the bottom left facing corner.
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Manufactured by
- Adidas AG, German, founded 1948
- Subject of
- Run-D.M.C., American, 1981 - 2002
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Shoes: leather, rubber, elastic, and terry cloth;
- Shoelaces: cotton with plastic aglets;
- Box: cardboard
- H x W x D (left shoe (.1a)): 4 1/2 × 3 3/4 × 12 1/2 in. (11.4 × 9.5 × 31.8 cm)
- H x W x D (right shoe (.1b)): 4 1/2 × 3 3/4 × 12 1/2 in. (11.4 × 9.5 × 31.8 cm)
- H x W x D (box with lid (.4ab)): 4 3/4 × 9 1/16 × 13 3/4 in. (12 × 23 × 35 cm)
- athletic shoes
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.