Votive candle stand with base from Saint Augustine Catholic Church
- A votive candle stand with ninety-nine candle holders. The holders all feature four stylized leaves. The top of the stand has five rows of with twenty holders each. One of the holders on the top row is missing. The stand is supported by an inverted arch made up of scrollwork with stylized vines on the outside edges and center. The supports are attached to rows of votive holders by screws. The stand is topped with cross. The cross sits on top of a plain column. The cross is capped at the top, bottom, and either arm with trefoils. At the intersection of the arms and panel are two concentric circles with the outside circle appearing behind the cross and the inner circle inside the intersection. Within the inner circle of the intersection is a small Greek cross. The surface of the cross is covered with stylized foliage and leaves.
- The metal base has a stylized floral frieze running around the entire face. Within each set of stylized leaves is a Greek cross. The top and bottom of the frieze has a dashed line separated by two dots. The stand top has a small lipped edge where the votive holder rack sits. The base is supported by four curved metal legs. The legs curve away from the base and are capped with stylized foliage for feet. The legs are supported with rectangular bars midway down the legs. A floral decoration is found where the bar supports attach to the legs, with centers that are screws.
- A 10mm Craftsman double-headed wrench was found inside the candle stand during conservation treatment.
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Manufactured by
- Owned by
- The Saint Augustine Catholic Church of New Orleans, American, founded 1842
- 20th century
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift of The Saint Augustine Catholic Church of New Orleans
- metal, wood
- candle stand top: 32 x 56 3/4 x 15 1/2 in. (81.3 x 144.1 x 39.4 cm)
- base: 35 1/2 x 57 x 16 in. (90.2 x 144.8 x 40.6 cm)
- candlestands (furniture)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.