- A silver gelatin print depicting a black-and-white image of entertainer Gladys Bentley. Bentley is depicted standing in three quarters profile with her head turned towards the viewer, and her proper right foot forward. She is wearing a white tuxedo, top hat, and she is holding a cane under her proper right arm. A bar with bottles lining the shelves is the background. There is a low, white, metal rail on either side of Bentley. The photographer's mark, printed in the negative, located at the bottom right corner reads, [Canell [?]/ / NY. There are also additional pencil notations written on the back of the photograph.
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Photograph by
- Subject of
- Gladys Bentley, American, 1907 - 1960
- ca. 1940
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture
- silver and photographic gelatin on photographic paper
- H x W (Image): 9 5/16 × 7 5/16 in. (23.7 × 18.6 cm)
- H x W (Sheet): 10 × 7 15/16 in. (25.4 × 20.2 cm)
- gelatin silver prints
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.