- This Howard University hoodie was worn by Rev. Dr. Howard-John Wesley as he delivered the sermon, "A Rizpah Response," on March 25, 2012 at the Alfred Street Baptist Church in Alexandria, Virginia. Wesley gave the sermon in response to the murder of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman on February 26, 2012, in Sanford, Florida.
- A long-sleeved black hooded sweatshirt worn by Rev. Dr. Howard-John Wesley while giving the sermon "A Rizpah Response" on March 25, 2012, at Alfred Street Baptist Church in Alexandria, Virginia. The cotton and polyester blend sweatshirt has full-length sleeves and a kangaroo pouch at the center front waist. The text "HOWARD / UNIVERSITY" is printed in white and gray at the center front chest. The text "BISONS" with a small gray silhouette of a bison is printed down the outside of the proper left sleeve. The hood can be cinched around the face with black cord that is knotted at each end above a clear plastic aglet. A manufacturer's label is sewn at the interior center back neck with an additional label sewn below it that has fiber content, style, and care information. A white paper tag is sewn at the interior proper left side seam near the waist with style information printed on it in black ink.
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Manufactured by
- Jansport, American, founded 1967
- Worn by
- Rev. Dr. Howard-John Wesley, American
- Subject of
- Trayvon Martin, American, 1995 - 2012
- Alfred Street Baptist Church, American, founded 1803
- Howard University, American, founded 1867
- March 25, 2012
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift of Rev. Dr. Howard-John Wesley
- cotton and polyester blend cloth, cotton cord
- H x W x D (flat): 38 1/4 × 29 × 2 in. (97.2 × 73.7 × 5.1 cm)
- sweat shirts
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.