Photographic crayon portrait of Roseanna May
- A black-and-white photographic crayon portrait of Roseanna May on thin fiberboard. She wears a dark, high-necked blouse or dress with a pleated front and a brooch at her center front collar. Her hair is pinned back at the lower back part of her head. The artist used charcoal and gray pastel, the former for enhancing and darkening and the latter for highlighting the photographic image. When placed alongside 2012.42.16.2, the two images show that it was at one time a single image with the man on the left and the woman on the right. Their shoulders overlap the central border and the lines meet up perfectly, as do scratch marks on the verso.
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Created by
- Subject of
- Roseanna May, American, 1846 - 1924
- late 19th century
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift of Clara Ellis Payne
- emulsion, charcoal black, and pigment on fiberboard
- H x W: 10 1/2 x 8 1/4 in. (26.7 x 21 cm)
- H x W: 10 1/2 x 8 3/8 in. (26.7 x 21.3 cm)
- companion portraits
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.