Detroit Lions jacket worn by Eddie Murphy in the film Beverly Hills Cop II
- This black and off-white Detroit Lions letterman jacket was worn by Eddie Murphy in the film Beverly Hills Cop II (1987). The jacket is made from black felted wool with off-white leather sleeves. Ribbed knitted synthetic fabric with a blue and white stripe design on a black ground is attached as the fold-over collar, the cuffs of each sleeve, and around the hem of the jacket body. The jacket closes at the center front using seven (7) metal snaps painted black on the facing side. There are two (2) diagonally set welted pockets, one at each front side waist, with the welts made from the off-white leather. Appliqued hooked thread designs are attached at the proper left chest, across the back, and on the sleeves just below the shoulder seam. The design on the proper left front consists of gray letters reading "LIONS" over a gray, white, and blue football helmet that has the Detroit Lions mascot on the helmet. The design on the back of the jacket consists of gray letters reading "DETROIT" above a larger version of the football helmet and gray letters below the helmet reading "LIONS". The number "67" in black is on each sleeve.
- The jacket is fully lined in dark gray rayon. A black fabric label with gold embroidered stitching is sewn at the center back below the collar that reads "Albion / AWARD / Jacket / ALBION KNITTING MILLS / GARDENA, CALIFORNIA / WOOL FABRIC / PROFESSIONALLY DRY CLEAN ONLY / MADE IN U.S.A.". A size tag is sewn to the bottom of the label. A label with style, content, and care information is sewn into the interior proper right side seam near the waist.
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Created by
- Albion Knitting Mills, American, 1923 - 1998
- Worn by
- Eddie Murphy, American, born 1961
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture
- wool, leather, rayon, synthetic fiber, and metal snaps
- H x W: 27 1/4 x 20 1/4 in. (69.2 x 51.4 cm)
- H x W x D (On Form): 26 1/2 x 26 x 15 in. (67.3 x 66 x 38.1 cm)