- One pair of hand-painted sneakers (.1ab) featuring Barack Obama, with shoe box (.2). The shoes are a pair of white basketball sneakers, Nike Air Force 1s, painted over with an image of Obama's face in tones of grey against a blue background on the side panel; each sneaker features Obama in a different pose with the title [Obama 08] to the bottom left.The logo from the Obama campaign is painted in color to the left of Obama's image and in grey on the top toe panel. The left shoe (.1a) has navy laces and features the message [YES WE CAN] in white against a navy background; the right shoe (.1b) has red laces and features the message [CHANGE] in white against a navy background. The sneakers also feature blue stars placed on the inner shoe front panel and the artist's signature on the left sneaker.
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Created by
- Van Taylor Monroe III, American
- Subject of
- President Barack Obama, American, born 1961
- Manufactured by
- Nike Inc., American, founded 1971
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift of Van Taylor Monroe, III
- paint on leather with rubber and synthetic fiber
- H x W: 5 1/2 x 4 3/8 x 12 3/8 in. (14 x 11.1 cm). 12 US shoe size.
- shoes (footwear)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.