William Edwin Jones pushes daughter Renee Andrewnetta Jones (8 months old) during protest march on Main St. in Memphis Tennessee.
- This black-and-white photograph depicts an African American man with his baby daughter in a stroller on the left. He holds a sign that says "DADDY, I WANT TO BE FREE." On the right, a Memphis police cruiser sits by the curb as the white police officers look at the man.
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Photograph by
- Dr. Ernest C. Withers, American, 1922 - 2007
- Subject of
- William Edwin Jones, American
- Dr. Renee Jones Jeffrey, American, born 1961
- August 1961
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture
- silver and photographic gelatin on photographic paper
- H x W (Sheet): 19 7/8 × 15 15/16 in. (50.5 × 40.5 cm)
- H x W (Image): 14 5/8 × 14 15/16 in. (37.1 × 37.9 cm)
- gelatin silver prints