Dress worn by Diahann Carroll on the television show Julia
- Dress worn by Diahann Carroll as the character Julia Baker on the television show "Julia." The pink and cream dress is a full-length, long-sleeved gown with a high neck. A sleeveless bodice and full skirt made from pink taffeta is overlaid with a double layer of pale cream chiffon, with the chiffon covering the entire skirt and forming the upper bodice and sleeves. Large floral sprays are machine embroidered in cream thread on the chiffon. The hem of the skirt, the cuffs of the sleeves, and the neck are edged with cream lace in an openwork design. The dress closes with a zipper at the center back. The cuffs and the neck fasten with metal hook-and-eye closures, two (2) at each cuff and three (3) at the center back neck. There is a pale pink satin belt with a self fabric-covered decorative buckle at the high waistline that closes with three (3) metal snaps and three (3) metal hook-and-eyes.
- The pink lower bodice and skirt of the dress are self-lined, with an additional paler pink petticoat attached under the lining of the skirt. The upper bodice is lined with a brown net, giving a darker hue to this section of the gown under the chiffon overlay. The sleeves are not lined.
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Designed by
- William Travilla, American, 1920 - 1990
- Worn by
- Diahann Carroll, American, 1935 - 2019
- Subject of
- Black Fashion Museum, American, 1979 - 2007
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift of the Black Fashion Museum founded by Lois K. Alexander-Lane
- taffeta, chiffon, rayon thread, lace, and metal closures
- H x W x D (Dress on form): 61 × 26 1/4 × 17 in. (154.9 × 66.7 × 43.2 cm)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.