Photograph, Autographed, Actress, Angela Cartwright
- This autographed photo is from Angela Cartwright, who played Penny Robinson in "Lost in Space," Irwin Allen's popular science fiction TV show presented on CBS from 1965 to 1968. "Lost in Space" was a space-age adaptation of the 1812 novel "Swiss Family Robinson" (Der Schweizerische Robinson) by Swiss pastor Johann David Wyss. Wyss wrote the book to teach self-reliance, family values, and other virtues to his sons. "Lost in Space" transposed these themes into a space setting in which a modern Robinson family faced and survived a variety of ordeals while stranded in deep space by their own self-reliance and family cooperation. Although "Lost in Space" was cancelled after three seasons, like "Star Trek," it developed a loyal following of fans interested in merchandise and fan clubs.
- In 1998, New Line Cinema released an updated movie based on the same stories, also called "Lost in Space." Fans often sought autographed photos from the stars of such shows.
- This photo was donated to the Smithsonian in 2005 by Gregory K. H. Bryant.
- Data Source
- National Air and Space Museum
- Credit Line
- Gift of Gregory K. H. Bryant.
- Paper, glossy
- 2-D - Unframed (H x W): 25.4 x 20.3cm (10 x 8 in.)
- MEMORABILIA-Popular Culture