Sunglasses, Rucksack #1B, Survival Kit, Skylab 4
- This survival kit is from a set of Skylab crew equipment that NASA transferred to the Museum in 1976. It contains 48 items, including sunglasses, fish hooks, pocket knife, beacon radio, light, and drinking water. Another survival kit contained a life raft. In 1973-1974 when Skylab was in operation, astronauts traveled to and from this space station in Apollo spacecraft that splashed down in the ocean upon return. Survival kits were stowed onboard in case the three-man crew landed off course and had to await rescue. Fortunately that never happened.
- Transferred from NASA to the Museum in 1976.
- Data Source
- National Air and Space Museum
- General Electric Co.
- Credit Line
- Transferred from NASA Johnson Space Center
- 3-D (Laid Out Flat): 6 × 63.8 × 0.6cm (2 3/8 in. × 2 ft. 1 1/8 in. × 1/4 in.)