- This reflecting plate of polished steel was part of the equipment issued to John Glenn for his Friendship 7 mission in February, 1962, and was attached to his arm with the elastic band. As space was at a premium inside the Mercury spacecraft, the astronaut only had a very limited ability to move and see outside the craft. This plate behind his head and shoulders allowed the astronaut to see.
- NASA - Manned Spacecraft Center transferred this to NASM in 1967.
- Data Source
- National Air and Space Museum
- Credit Line
- Transferred from NASA - Headquarters
- Overall: Polished metal - steel, elastic
- 3-D: 7.6 × 1 × 10.2cm (3 × 3/8 × 4 in.)
- PERSONAL EQUIPMENT-Accessories
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.